Curriculum and Content Area Resources
- New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards- http://www.state.nj.us/njded/cccs/index.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Growing Up Drug-Free http://www.ed.gov/offices/OESE/SDFS/parents_guide/
- American Lung Association - The American Lung Association Homage offers an online resource for information on asthma and other lung diseases, tobacco control, and environmental health. It also provides the latest news, medical and legislative updates. This site will be helpful for students who are researching smoking and tobacco usage.
- American Heart Association - Information on managing your weight, patient information on heart attack and strokes, nutrition, and much more. A site for the individual to receive information on eating plans for healthy americans and strategic planning for physical activity.
- National Clearinghouse For Alcohol and Drug Information For Kids Only - This site teaches about the effects of drugs and alcohol.
- Center For Science in the Public Interest - The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is a non-profit organization and advocacy organization that focuses on improving the safety and nutritional quality of foods. There are sections that can be used as supplements to health instruction such as nutritional quizzes, health facts, and a kid's index.
- Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids - A wonderful web site geared to protect children from tobacco addiction. There are abbreviated articles and current events that deal with smoking issues with the bibliographies included. The Kid's Corner offers an opportunity for children to learn the ABC's of what tobacco use can do to the body. There is also a section of the current CDC Research, Data, and Reports.
- Cyber-Active! - A full educational resource in the area of Physical Education , Adapted Physical Education , and Gross Motor Development . This site answers questions about age appropriate activities and suggestions for assessment and adapting for special needs, you should check out the newly developed Activity Database.
- Interactive Education educational software and educational training games for classrooms and courses.
Excellent site for professional sharing in the area of health and physical education. Lesson plans, professional resources, chat group, archives and other services available.
- Physical Education Digest - A 36 page quarterly magazine that provides the latest ideas, tips, coaching cues and research on sports, fitness and physical education topics from around the world - condensed into brief, easy-to-understand articles that you can really use.
- Sports Media - A useful tool for PE teachers and everyone who is interested in sports of any kind.
- NAPSE - The National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE) is a nonprofit professional organization comprised of individuals engaged in the study of human movement and the delivery of sport and physical activity programs.
- AAHPERD is the national association for health and physical education, recreation and dance. Information about membership and services of the association and its affiliates.
- The New Jersey State Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.
Lesson Plan Links
- AskERIC Lesson Plans: Health - Health lesson plans.
- Lessons and Articles - Web-linked Health activity suggestions and professional articles for K-8 from McGraw-Hill School Division.
- Physical Education Games - Several Elementary level plans and activities from the AskEric database.
- Physical Education Gymnastics - Elementary level lesson plans from the AskEric database.
- Physical Education Lesson Plans - This site features over 80 tried and true physical education lesson plans posted by teachers from across the globe.
- Physical Education Movement and Motor Skills - Two Elementary level lesson plans from the AskEric database.
- Physical Education Lesson Plans Page 1
- Physical Education Lesson Plans Page 2
Adapted Physical Education
- Adapted Physical Education National Standards
- Disabled Sports USA
- Moving to Inclusion
- Special Olympics International
- U.S. Cerebral Palsy Athletic Association
- Fitnessgram Information - Cooper Institute, Dallas, TX
- Fitness Link - Link to many fitness sources
- Health and Fitness Forum - a site which includes an overview of basic anatomy, strength training and cardiovascular exercises, and information about sports medicine and nutrition.
- The President's Physical Fitness Challenge is part of the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports.
- Non-Traditional Gymnastics - This is an awesome site. It even has an interactive quiz for students and is an excellent model to include under the gymnastics category. It also has terrific potential for and should be demonstrated as future use of technology in the he/pe classroom.
USA Gymnastics Online http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/ Olympic and competitive gymnastics site.
- http://library.advanced.org/11163/gather/cgi-bin/wookie.cgi/ interactive site that allows you to examine food choices and create meals. It also provides excellent information on nutrients and dietary requirements.
- www.quackwatch.com - Dietary Supplement Health & Education
- www.hcrc.org - Dietary Supplement Health & Education
- KidsHealth - Find answers to commonly asked health questions. Topics include the benefits of different types of vitamins, the food pyramid, healthy children's recipes, how to read food labels, and keeping fit.
- Nutrition Expedition Page - An outstanding site maintained by the Department of Food Services and Nutrition of The University of Minnesota. Students and teachers may journey through various trails designed for Nutrition Education. Examples include "Pyramid Peak", "Food Safety Falls", and "Body Image Lake". All trails are age appropriate (elementary, middle and high school).
- Food Finder - This Web site provides nutritional information about fast food items. Teachers could have their students use this site to find the fat content of their favorite burger or list low calorie items from one or more restaurants. Then they could figure out how much exercise they would have to do to burn that fat content.
- Nutrition Central - Provides links to nutrition related resources. Visitors can learn about CD-Roms and software for teaching Health and Nutrition, there are good nutrition links for kids, book reviews, and numerous links that should be helpful to teachers and parents.
- Dole 5 a day - Based on the popular Dole 5 a Day CD Rom, this Web site, appropriate for elementary age children, uses fruit and vegetable characters to help children learn about the importance of eating at least 5 fruits and vegetables a day.
Sports and Athletics
- North American Youth Sports Institute - Information and resources in fitness, education, recreation and sports that will enhance programs and improve children's learning in sports related activities. A resource section lists available books for sports and coaching and two sections which invite interaction with the editor Dr Hustlar. Ask Jack and Frequently Asked Questions give individuals an opportunity to write in/submit questions they have related to fitness, recreation, and sport as well as very specific sports related questions.
- The Institute for the Study of Youth Sports - This program at Michigan State University is designed to research the benefits and detriments of participation in youth sports. The site also offers educational resources and materials for parents, coaches and educators. "Spotlight on Youth Sports" is a quarterly newsletter aimed at communicating to parents, coaches and sports participants about the latest developments on the youth sports scene. You can find archived editions as well as an index to all of the articles online.
- http://www.internationalsport.com/ This site provides lessons and activities to help celebrate, promote and teach sportsmanship. Appropriate for both curricular physical education and extra curricular activities.
- Yahoo! Recreation: Sports - Listing of links to web sites by sport.
- Team Sports - Rules and information for school sports from the AskEric database.
- Way Cool Running Kids Web Page - (The K - 12 Running Site) Excellent page for kids who are interested in running. Kids see photos, learn about kids running events, answer questions, download a running log, they can also read stories about running that other kids contribute.
Web Page Sampler
- http://home.earthlink.net/~donnadale - a good reference for teachers.
- BayView's P.E. Home Page http://members.aol.com/BigBill777/index.html
All work on this site ©Harold Olejarz 1997 - 1999 and the artists credited. No images or text may be used for commercial purposes without written permission from Harold Olejarz. Personal or educational uses are allowed with permission from Harold Olejarz.